Monday, February 28, 2011

Local Beers

Whenever possible, I try the new local beers I can find. Weston Brewing Company is a fairly new brewery in St Louis, I only noticed them late last year, and this is the first beer of theirs I've tried. Its the O'Mally's Irish Brown Ale. I've drunk many brown ales before, and many Irish ales, but an Irish brown? Thats something I havent seen before.
Its darker than a regular brown ale, but nowhere near as opaque as a stout. The aroma is lightly toasty, with a dose of sour, and some fuggle hops at the end. A good bit of carbonation too. The first taste is smooth and light, not as strong as I was expecting for something called "Irish", but theres a good nutty flavor, a mellow toastiness to the malt, and a sour undertone that feels more like a stout than a brown ale. A strong but muddled aftertaste of hops, I can certainly taste fuggles in there, but also some sharper ones. Overall the combination works, although it makes me think of a couple of homebrewing buddies who made a beer they liked then tried to figure out what to call it than a true brown ale.
Scoring:
Look: 2 - deep brown
Aroma: 3 - light and toasty
Taste: 2 - muddled mix of flavors
Feel: 3 - solidly refreshing
Total: 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment