Monday, February 21, 2011

Moose Drool

Beer brewers tend to have an odd sense of humor when it comes to naming their products, and this one is no different. Its the Moose Drool Brown Ale, from Big Sky Brewery in Montana.
It pours a deep dark brown, darker than you normally expect for a brown ale, with a good amount of carbonation. The aroma is subtle and nutty, with some underlying sweetness and a light doese of hops. The flavor carries over the nuttiness of the aroma, with a bit of sourness to it also. The maltiness is understated, and the hop aftertaste is not strong at all. The carbonation is a bit much for me, almost to a light lager level, and not fitting of the style. But overall a light refreshing beer with a bit of flavor.
Scoring:
Look: 2 - dark for a brown ale
Aroma: 3 - subtle sweet
Taste: 2 - nutty but sour
Feel: 2 - too much carbonation
Total: 2.75

3 comments:

  1. Ah, memories of drinking Moose Drool during my summers working in Montana...that was back when microbreweries were fewer and farther in between and I took what I could get. I was never overly fond of that beer, but loved the name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Moose Drool! I'm drinking my coffee out of a Moose Drool mug right now, lol. Of course, I should be drinking beer from it - it is noon already.

    ReplyDelete